1. Colm O Baoill, ‘Some Irish Harpers in Scotland’ Transactions of the Gaelic Society of Inverness 47, 1970-72, p.143-171, revised as Colm Ó Baoill, ‘Highland Harpers and their Patrons’ in James Porter (ed.) Defining Strains: The Musical Life of Scots in the Seventeenth Century. Studies in the History and Culture of Scotland 2, Peter Lang, Berne, 2007.
4. R.B. Armstrong, The Irish and Highland Harps, Edinburgh, David Douglas, 1904, p. 65. See also www.earlygaelicharp.info/harps/cloyne.htm
7. Painting by Reinhold Timm in the Danish National Museum; reproduced in Early Music May 1987 and also (mirror image) in Early Music May 2000; colour reproduction at nationalmuseet.dk.
10. There is a chart comparing the different shapes of surviving instruments at www.earlygaelicharp.info/harps/thumbs.htm. See also Joan Rimmer ‘The morphology of the Irish harp’ Galpin Society Journal no. 17, 1964; also Simon Chadwick, ‘The early Irish harp’ Early Music vol 36 no.4, November 2008, pp.521-532
11. R.B. Armstrong, The Irish and Highland Harps, Edinburgh, David Douglas, 1904. See also www.earlygaelicharp.info/harps/kildare.htm. There is a small recent b&w photograph in Early Music November 2008.
12. See my Nails page for details.
13. William Matheson, The Blind Harper - the songs of Roderick Morison and his music, Scottish Gaelic Texts Society, 1970
© Simon Chadwick 2007 - part of the history of the Gaelic harp, at earlygaelicharp.info