Patrick Quin (c. 1745 - early 19th century)
Patrick Quin owned and played the Castle Otway harp. This is a very interesting old instrument which is beautifully decorated with incised designs, which are coloured with red and blue paint in a striking chequerboard pattern.
In the watercolour portrait of Quin, the harp is distorted but recognisable. In the engraved portrait, the harp has become totally fanciful.
The harp bears an inscription “Cormick O Kelly 1707”, however parts of it may be much older than that.
After Quin's death, the harp belonged to the Otway-Ruthven family and was preserved at Castle Otway. It now belongs to Trinity College, Dublin, and is in storage, not on display.